Diagnosis of my graphics card: drivers problem or power supply fault?

Send your request for drivers, firmware, bios and utilities.
archi

Diagnosis of my graphics card: drivers problem or power supply fault?

Post by archi »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for your computer skills, which are arguably far more advanced than mine, to help me resolve a graphics card problem I am not aware of.

My config in brief, dating from the start of 2018:

MB: Asus Z170 Pro graming
CPU: Intel core i7-6700k
GC: Inno3D iChill GTX1070X3

While I had not encountered any problems so far and was looking forward to this little pc going through containment, I encountered a problem when it started up, which appeared overnight. While it seems to start normally, my screen turns on and off a few times before going black (black but on).

I can boot and use the computer correctly by plugging the monitor into the motherboard's HDMI port, and the Intel graphics component then takes over without a hitch.
Suspecting a software issue (sometimes), I wanted to update my graphics driver. Only there, at the end of the installation via the Nvidia executable, I encountered a Windows crash.

Your computer has encountered a problem and needs to restart. Collection of information relating to errors ...
(PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop code; failed item: nvlddmkm.sys)

When restarting, windows launches an automatic repair attempt giving me the choice between restoring the system or canceling. Canceling allows me to launch Safe Mode, but normal restarting brings me back to the same point. However, I then manage to restore the system and go back to windows.

By going to see the device manager and DxDiag, the card status display indicates that Windows has stopped it because it is having problems (code 43, either relating to the drivers, or to the power supply of the card. after the Nvidia site).

I tried reinstalling the drivers "fresh" with the DDU utility, but whenever I try a new driver installation, I find the original glitch ...

Another detail: the card lights up well on startup and I see that its fans are off. I've read here and there that it can be automatic when it's not overloaded (I never paid attention), but I see the fans cranking periodically, as if their startup was instantly interrupted.
Apart from a driver problem that I would not be able to install for a reason unknown to me, I therefore suspect a card power supply fault, perhaps due to a short circuit which makes it go to safety at ignition ...

I do not see other solutions at this stage to push our investigation ...
Thanks in advance for reading !!
roza

Post by roza »

Hi Archi,

Sounds like power supply problem.